Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Let's Go Back To School! (Fairy kei and Sweet Lolita Back To School Guide)


Dear Frosted Cake Toppings,

It's that time again boys and girls! Time to go back to school~ I thought I would make a post to help out those sleepy fairy kei girls and sweet lolitas who don't like to wake up in the morning. I always didn't like to get out of bed when it was time for school and would of faired better the first part of the day just staying up all night, though then later in the day I would be passing out! Anywho, this post will cover ways to look cute, even when your too tired to put in the effort or don't have a lot of time in the mornings before school.

Princess Skiteanna's Guide To Sleepy Princesses Going Back To School



(This was written with the assumption that the reader wants to wear fairy kei or sweet lolita to school.)

Step 1: Make Time To Plan Before You Head To Sleep!
It may seem like a no brainer, but don't let time get away from you! I know when school first started each year for me I was able to plan the first few weeks then for some reason I just got lazy and plans fell through. Remind yourself somehow that you need to set out things for the morning. Ever since I discovered the "Sticky Notes" function on my computer I have been able to keep myself on a schedule like never before. I'm a computer addict myself, so I am able to see the sticky notes several times a day. I write something I need to do that day and maybe make daily or weekly schedules of things that need to be done. So, if you just make a small note to make sure you have clothes set out for the next day by, say, 7 o'clock then it might help you remember! Or, if your not big into the computers you could just go the old fashioned route and write it on your hand~ Try not to put things off and get too busy or you may find yourself passing out at night and rushing to get ready in the morning! (Sticky Notes can be found on most if not all Windows 7 computers, I don't know about others since I have Windows 7, but you could always check. Plus, added fun, you can make the notes pink! I wish they had cute stickers to add to them too!)

Step 2: What's The Plan? 
I have had the problem of going too elaborate for a school day. I wake up and I am just too tired to put on the layers and layers I had planned out and end up wearing something dull and uninspired. When planning school outfits always take into account your normal morning energy level. Also, another mistake I have made in picking outfits for school is not taking into account comfort and convience. We are at school and possibly on our feet for many hours and the halls are crowded with kids and sometimes it can be a tight squeeze to get to our desks. Now, we don't want to be getting ran into all the time and we don't want to run into things which might disturb the other students or cause things to be knocked over. We certainly won't appear as poised ladies that way (usually)! When planning outfits we have to take a lot of things into consideration like the things I have mentioned. Make sure it is an outfit you will have no problem wearing all day at school and will be willing to change into in the morning. (Try and give yourself at least an hour to get ready and make sure to decide if you want to shower in the morning or before you go to bed.)

I threw together a few example outfits on Polyvore for fun~ Let's go look how they turned out!

In this first arrangement I tried to make an outfit that works for both casual lolita and fairy kei and would be fairly simple from top to bottom. The picked items are not set in stone items, just ideas of the types of things that would work, something cheaper could easily be substituted. 
Instructions for this type of look 
Head: Just pull back your normal hair into pigtails or some hair style and decorate it simply with cute hair clips.
Torso: Find a cute cutsew that matches in color scheme with the outfit in some way.
Bottom Half: Just find a skirt tha could work in casual lolita and/or fairy kei that also has a color scheme that works with the rest of the outfit. (In this case mint/pink/lavender)
Legs: For this I just have plain tights because I prefer them, but socks could serve the same purpose. 
Shoes: For these shoes I thought something fun to do would be to mix and match the colored shoe for a bit more fun and it went with the mix and matched-ness of the hair clips. What I wanted was on this side < I wanted a mint shoe and the other a pink or lavander shoe, but for some reason I couldn't find a mint shoe on Polyvore like that.
Bag and Accessories: I just chose a lollipop bag, but any cute matching bag would work. As for other accessories something simple like a few pink and lavender bracelets and some kind of necklace. For this outfit a good necklace would be one with a lollipop to match the bag. (Also, I think large pink glasses would be great accessories for school to give you that "smart and cute" look ;) )

For these outfits I paired a more fairy kei outfit with a more simple sweet lolita outfit for some variety. Just follow most of the guidelines above for these outfits too. For those of you who love fairy kei, I would try and steer away from the tutus and tights combo during school and for you lolitas I suggest you don't forget your bloomers at home(A lot of schools have stairs and we can't be sure what people walking below us can see.) Also, when wearing petticoats under skirts try to wear a less poofy one and keep it more casual to give yourself room to walk around things. The shoes should be comfortable, something easy to walk around in that will likely not start to hurt your feet. I also included a jacket on each, because you have to remember a lot of the time schools keep the air condition very high, so even if it's warm outside, it may be cold inside. 

This outfit is one I found that would be perfect for wearing fairy kei to school. It is simple and not too poofy to walk the halls.

These casual lolita outfits would also be just perfect for wearing to school. The poof is a bit smaller and they are sooo cute and well coordinated. The hair is also good, a simple style for a sleepy morning~


Step 3: Remember Hair and Makeup
Even if you have a wonderfully designed outfit, it can be taken away from considerably if your hair is an unbrushed rats nest! Of course you don't have to do anything fancy~ If your super tired in the mornings you could just have a simple prestyled wig ready to go or do a very simple hair style. Here is a link to a great video for simple, quick, and easy hair styles perfect for school! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ha6kjiY_VU&list=UUIdyhVaEoOKd28MEm60A8VA&index=16&feature=plcp) and this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvZ5TvrWN_E) For make-up some mascara, eye shadow, maybe some white eyeliner, and generous amounts of pink blush to the cheeks (Maybe concerler if you need it.) I'm sorry I wasn't able to upload make-up and hair tutorials of my own for this, but I am not able to film right now, though I would love to try my hat at make-up and hair tutorials in the future! (Though I have no expertice with that at all really.. hehe!)

Step 4: Try and Smile!
When you have a smile on your face you'll feel happy and look more approchable, even if you are really super tired and feel a bit like a groggy grumpy monster~ You don't want to give all of the possible new friends the wrong impression!



Step 5: Check Your School Dress Code!!
Maybe this should of been number one. Go on your school website or something before school starts and see if a dress code is listed. Breaking the dress code could result in being forced to change or being sent home. Be sure you know what is appropriate for your school. Another thing to take into consideration is if you have a lot of messy classes, like pottery. (I had that one year and could almost never wear fancy clothes to school with the constant fear of the clay splattering all over them.) Here is a nifty little guide to being lolita even in a school uniform! http://www.wikihow.com/Be-a-Lolita-in-a-School-Uniform

Now to the next thing I wanted to cover in this post, back to school sales!! I don't know about all of you, but I love back to school time for one reason. BACKPACKKKSS! I am a backpack NUT and they have some of the cutest ones ever and I need to get back to the store to pick them up before they are gone. You don't have to be headed to school to take advantage of the sales, I graduated highschool last year and always make sure I look at all the stuff for back to school. They have cheap things good for any artist or writer that are very cheap! Plus, they are great for keeping things organized around the house. Just a passing thought, but don't forget to check those back to school sales before they're gone!
I am actually doing another post after 3 in the morning, it's 5 am right now. (OTL) I pick horrible times to write for my blog, but at least it gets done. Though, I kind of think I forgot a lot of things I planned to include in this post! If I remmeber anything I will just add it later, I am starting to get so sleepy that I can hardly type coherent sentences anymore. Talk to you soon! Have a sweet day and if you have any tips for back to school or ideas for future blog posts feel free to leave a comment! (By the way, if you do a few jumping jacks when you wake up you will get the blood flowing and feel more awake!)

As Always and  Ever So Sleepily Yours,

Skiteanna La~Sweet

No comments:

Post a Comment